The Equipment Loan Service provides simple aids to daily living for disabled people, people recovering from surgery, elderly people and their carers to support lifelong independence. If you feel that you, or someone you care for, would benefit from help with daily living, please contact City of York Council Occupational Therapists on 01904 555111 to have your needs assessed.
An equipment referral form must be completed by a Health Care Professional to identify the type of equipment and level of service required.
- Delivery of equipment to your home address or alternative delivery address in York
- Self-collect facility for you, your carers or Health Care Professionals to pick up equipment during office opening hours
- Fitting and installation of equipment in your home, as requested by the Health Care Professional
- Maintenance of equipment on loan to ensure statutory compliance
- Collection of equipment no longer required from your home address
- Equipment may be returned to Be Independent within our normal opening hours
- Decontamination of returned equipment through our designated Decontamination Unit
- Repair and refurbishment of equipment where viable.
How to apply
Before equipment can be provided, a Health Care assessment is required. We will discuss your situation with you and your carer to try to find the best solution.
We aim to provide you with equipment within seven working days, except when providing equipment that requires a special order.
To request an assessment please contact 01904 555111.
Equipment is provided free of charge subject to referral needs.
Returning the equipment
Equipment is the property of Be Independent
You can return the equipment to our loan store (opening hours 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday) or we can arrange to collect it.
If you have a problem with equipment or wish to arrange a collection or return, call 01904 645000 option 2.
Buying own equipment
If you would like to buy your own equipment you can now use online shop - please just simply click HERE and you will be transferred to our section at Shop 4 support shop (new window will open) or use our catalogue.